Saturday 16 June 2012

Mumbai gave me "Wings"

When I look back and get nostalgic, I vividly remember the day my mom left me on my own for the first time, in this big city. I was extremely sad and there was nobody to console me. So I decided to shamelessly cry myself out, before starting my life, a life which I had dreamed of every single day for the past few years. And now here I am, loving this city more and more as days pass by.

I have enjoyed every bit of my life in Mumbai so far. I also admit that its not been a cake walk staying here, but yet I have survived and learnt the art of surviving.
Being a girl who had a car and a driver at her service everywhere she went, I had no clue, how I would travel in the city. With no vehicle at my disposal, I once took a taxi from Mumbai Central, and woah! The taxi driver took me in rounds before we reached college and I paid him 200 bucks for that ride. I still feel stupid of myself for that one. And once when I had to travel to Churchgate, I took a train from Dadar in the opposite direction and realised it only when I reached Bandra! But now I can find any place and travel by all the three modes of transport available, efficiently.

Mumbai also taught me to manage my finances, something which I had never done. I laugh at myself when I scheme to cut down eating and go by a bus rather than a taxi, so that dad doesn't get to know of my shopping endeavours.
I have learned to eat food in any form, find my way in the many lanes of crawford market and keep going on, whatever happens, even if its a bomb-blast.
 I have learned to be independent, and live life according to my terms. It has given me a chance to make my own decisions, have it my own way.  It has made me confident enough to hold my head high and say that I am an individual, with my own choices and preferences.

But in turn, it has also made me value of the things I have. It has made me more responsible as a daughter, as a friend and more importantly as a human being. Mumbai taught me to believe in the age old adage of "God helps those who help themselves".
It has made me self-made, grounded and more importantly adaptable. Truly, It has given me wings to soar higher and higher!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment